Skip to main content

tv   Key Capitol Hill Hearings  CSPAN  October 14, 2016 10:00pm-12:01am EDT

10:00 pm
>> >> which ways can we better market to be undecided voters what the republican congress has done a last two years cricks in dash not asking to ask this question by the way laugh laugh this is what i decided to do. after getting this job find the common ground where we agree to get the things done so we had a problem of the infrastructure we have real issues i 94 so for the first time we have a bipartisan infrastructure bill so to have a long term highway bill to get people back to
10:01 pm
work. have you ever heard of no child left behind? we got consensus to ban common core the biggest devolution of power in 25 years and other countries taking advantage of last - - lack of enforcement of the trade law and keating -- cheating we fix that for the first time in 40 years with the unpredictability of the
10:02 pm
tax cut to make important provisions permanent and so we have a lot of things done but one more time i will say there are huge issues in this country going unsolved and the reason is i don't think it is the bad cited think they are wrong. that is why we try to win the election not by bashing the other person to win that election for the american people to put this in place to get the country back on the right track. and that your classmates in people you work with and
10:03 pm
what we are proposing. and then make that your mind after you see what we are proposing. and you actually have to go out to vote and win the election to get this done. cnr early voting is already happening. >> i appreciated. [applause] [inaudible conversations]
10:04 pm
>> i have travelled the circuit for many years and never understood those logistics' how one individual laugh laugh. >> mr. vice president dan glad to see you here tonight you said many times in the campaign you want to give america back to the little guy. [laughter] mr. vice president i am that man. '' >> it is an honor to share dwindle with the great l. smith then your great-grandfather was the favorite kind of grand old dash grandfather that ran for president to laugh laugh >> campaign can have a lot
10:05 pm
of changes bluejeans in the morning, a suit for lunches for covert dinner this good to relax and underwear what we wear around the house laugh off ♪ ♪ ♪
10:06 pm
>> hello cincinnati. did m. hand. he did a good job. thanks to all of the people in the program and good luck to you with this election and also thanks to a leash of u.s.-led ohio to believe that more people should vote , not fewer. [applause] you ought to give him the hand. he has had a bad week. tried to make camp feel better.
10:07 pm
[applause] [chanting] what you are seeing is a microcosm. you have one person master rubbings salt in people's wounds. another that contributes to his own family charity takes the life savings of people that go to trump university don't get anything. but he is good at making people mad. the fundamental decision you have to make is how do feel about america and a rare we are going? if you think it is held in
10:08 pm
the handbasket then to demonizing but if you think that our best-- are still ahead if you think we are fortunate because we all thought we had income stagnation end inequality with many of the communities mental-health and drug addiction all of the challenges we are still outperforming every other economy on earth. still the youngest of most diverse workforce of any country. >> that the bounds of what you think.
10:09 pm
do not treat them right. if he wants to know what this is about turndown the television and see what president obama said. so it depends on what you think. if you believe that then you should not vote for hillary. and if you believe that in america's best-- are behind us. we had this 79 month in a row with more than the previous month.
10:10 pm
k. them i was president we all rose together for the first time in 50 years. and it all depends on our attitude. are we thinking about the future or looking back? do want to go back to trickle-down economics? >> no. >> that is one of the issues in the campaign the truth this to have this little economy to go backwards to contact millionaires and billionaires and big corporations he cannot
10:11 pm
pretend there is a choice. and your future and how we will live. he might win the election distracting people put after you get there if that is what you do you will not do anything good for anybody. on the other hand,, if you decide to reject that, and concentrate on what we do good instead of distracting people to cooperate instead of dividing to create opportunities to rise together because we are
10:12 pm
stronger together america will be better off. that is a very straightforward choice. there is only one person you can vote for the by modernizing the infrastructure. not just the roads and airports but all of the construction workers. look at that old building. to convince the public employee unions to put the money aside from their pension fund to invest in infrastructure to put people to work and reallocated 12.$5 million of that and got 100,000 jobs. i just got back from today's n iowa.
10:13 pm
the most underrated person in the president's cabinet because he never asks for any credit he just shows up for work. but he took all of these programs have been adopted over the years in the agriculture department to create 250,000 jobs in america to against people last chance to be a part of our future. [applause] i am telling you would be people be better off in blacks the rest of it is background of music. can we just have to decide. what type of people we are in if we really believe we're stronger together. and if we really believe
10:14 pm
that matters. it does matter. aspect half my life to find it said job and started business to have health care and then we all go forward together. wherever they spend all their time the good things are not happening. you shouldn't feel surprised but to feel bad because if you pour acid down people's throats every single day for your ass of of that will come back out. you cannot dead-end the spirit or not the heart without consequences. but it won't be good. nobody will do it.
10:15 pm
so first lady the aum modern infrastructure program. and it is like recognizing that michigan is not the only place in the country but they are drinking water as latta of rusted pipes. then we can get all of the kids and help the future to create enormous number of high-paying jobs. and with another example of every single day in america at between three and 5 million school children require them to get on the internet with homework and they cannot do it because here we are in 2016 a device borne in america, the internet, is not available
10:16 pm
because they don't have broadband coverage. if you did that you could create millions of opportunities for business growth of places that have been left out and the kids can do their homework and have a better chance in their future. [applause] another example. that directly relates to the capacity over the long run with manufacturing jobs. i spent two days omnibus' and iowa. i was traveling around iowa as the biggest bass overcapacity of wind of any state in america. did day pay a penalty against the worst consequence? also have lowest electric
10:17 pm
rates in america because once you build those the power is free. that is the part of our future. first. now second we have to give back to the small business community. hillary supports dodd/frank that keeps wall street from ruining mainstream again. now her opponent has promised to the peat -- repeal the. and make sure they don't have to spend as much money.
10:18 pm
we have to get back to the small business in this two-thirds of the new job growth. and investing in all of our communities. and tim rice and, paul ryan has his own problems. [laughter] he has a load to lug around. he knows more about trade than anybody in the senate. they will work hard because
10:19 pm
they don't to bring that back to america we have to sell something to somebody else. but she wants to make too big changes. what is realizing that negotiations don't stop. we have to enforce these deals berger when i left office they cut enforcement by 75% be there when travis special trade prosecutor and that's what it takes to see if they are treated fairly. with currency manipulation and never be in a trade deal to keep you from having fair access. but also to make sure we don't allow people for those who do business in this country as they are ripping
10:20 pm
american workers and communities off. as the opponent builds the of building with chinese steel to go through these corporations when there was already a determination below the cost of production no and then 2100 people were pushed out there making furnaces. 2.$9 billion per year. the profit margin was going up. everything you would want it may company. but the shareholders said
10:21 pm
abate want more money by now. we want the money out in one year. you need to hear me. this is a big part of the problem in america. if the richest shareholders say we don't care about the workers are the communities or the customers but all we care about if we could take our money out in one year, that is terrible news for the long term health so hillary says if they do what they did and the union said yuli save $5 million then we will reorganize to say now we will break the union and real lose the company take the money away.
10:22 pm
the tail was wagging the dog and when that happens only the tail is happy. this is a huge national problem. hillary says of the company does that if they leave us when they are making money with no concern would does to the business then they should use every last cent they got from the state local or national government . they should not be able to bring their products back into the american market duty-free. [applause] and definitely should not get a tax cut. but she said 81 to cut taxes for american businesses to
10:23 pm
share profits with their workers and retrain workers to be more productive and more valuable and invest their money in areas that is left behind from the last 10 years. they should be rewarded with vortexes. [applause] -- lower taxes. but it will spread economic opportunities then make sure betty can participate on a lot of people don't need extra for your degrees to get a good job if they have proper trading. [applause] we have to make college affordable for everybody.
10:24 pm
she had bernie sanders got together to come up with one that was better than the one before. and here's our works. did people ran against each other with a close race but what we really care about is making college available to everyone so free tuition for everybody at community college. number two free tuition for everybody at public institutions of higher education of about $125,000 family and come. but with those high graduation rates so
10:25 pm
everybody can get out all right but what about that has already the run-up? but the average debt is 30,000 that is the average. $200,000 those of the only loans you cannot refinance that is wrong. [applause] people i've been doing business with for a longtime she had sent graduating from new york state college.
10:26 pm
but does he have that? has a lot. one disease interest-rate? 9%. i said to have a mortgage? she said of course, you refinance? she said absolutely. what is your interest-rate? 4% proposal of me ask you we are to lead the opportunities of tomorrow and what your religion this. how can you justify charging in people at the beginning of their life into straits more than twice as high what their parents pay on a home mortgage? [applause]
10:27 pm
if you just let everybody refinance or than 20 young black males then she proposes to let anybody turn their college debt into mortgage instrument never pay more than 10% after-tax income in if they do any type of public service work and then it could be forgiven in a few years nobody has to pay anything after 20 not a single month will never pay more than 10 percent of your act -- after-tax income.
10:28 pm
then for young people who have college debt who want to start a small business to rescind repayment of the college loan volume get the business up and going. [applause] i met a young man and i was in his early 20s who started a business that basically is trying to figure out how to do better with how to get into law school medical school or how to pass the board's 14 after words for the average person pays between 1,000 and $2,000 to get ready for the test. all these people that put together flashcards to make it available on the internet guess what?
10:29 pm
he started that business with $20,000 and now has 50 employees that is where the new jobs come from. that is the future of this country. to pay their college loans off to have access to capital. you have to forgive me. we have to grow this economy faster to have more people qualified with more upward mobility instead of fueling the road rage to the people get up to save my tomorrow will be like yesterday. we are so close. but you have to devote for the right type of policy and the right type of leader. [applause] there are two things that
10:30 pm
could keep america rising together one is political gridlock fuelled by the animosity that we see on the streets of this election and the other is trouble abroad with very slow economic growth. there is only one person you can vote for who has really good idea is an unproven record she doesn't take it personally she knows it is the way that they do business and she will never close the door and everything she has accomplished as first lady and as the senator and secretary of state everything she did get them to support her and that is what you need a president to do. [applause]
10:31 pm
when she left office as secretary of state, the approval of the united states continent was 20 points higher than when she took office because they believed she had their back she wanted a peaceful and inclusive future for the world. she is the best changemaker i have never known. we just celebrated our 41st anniversary monday got out of law school she adored went to south carolina with those african-american and teenagers literally their whole future. shin oregon to sell the texas where generations were
10:32 pm
systematically shut out. she started the first legal aid clinic with those in the demographic group but my folks were hardworking honorable people. and before you know, it she also went to alabama and post as a racist moms to prove this so-called academies were illegally claiming a federal tax credit which is nothing more than a segregated public school and they lost the tax credit.
10:33 pm
she has always been able to get something done. she oversaw the efforts to oversee clean standards of the cattle farmer to setting we'll let did the wrong one. [laughter] when iran for president we had the highest in our region and one said we had the worst in the system for car she makes the spatter. that is what you want. and you want to somebody with the second debate he said a totally true fact he said she will never quit and
10:34 pm
she will never quit america and she will never quit on you. so our candidates stand on social security if it ain't broke and don't fix it is easy to guarantee long-term stability 40 percent of american seniors are out of poverty because of it. just one final thing that is important, if you think the health care law should be repealed, she thinks it is good that 25 more million americans have health care about 100 percent of us, of believe me when you are young it is hard to a
10:35 pm
mansion. not one week goes by it on not to say goodbye to somebody i've loved. there comes a time you have to be grateful for every day but no one knows. it is not a good to let anybody lose their insurance but there are problems the co-payments and deductibles are too much but the prescription drugs are too expensive for everybody not covered by a medicare program and the people having the toughest time either small businesses are working people because it all belonged to the big corporations and their easy
10:36 pm
pickens. but one person said let's fix the problem. here is how we get the code pays them the deductibles to have a public option of those individual policies will have affordable health care. is a big deal. i always get tickled that these debates the dial beaters go up and but this is your life the company that it -- the country that you listed in the future that you have. if we go together or not. you have dead choice anchor
10:37 pm
or answers. resentment or empowerment you have a choice. conflict your cooperation look at this crowd you have a choice. here is of a copy of the hamilton county democratic ballot. [applause] the heather dash was in eastern ohio with the african-american bishop
10:38 pm
cannot to me and said that is not what's important one important to me is i have a grandson from arkansas rice was born. and the first business was from my granddad's kirch restore process street from the town cemetery. so both of my granddad's customers were african-american. his position was straightforward they did best achaean you have a right to feed them there is now in times supplement my grandfather told me were a wonderful man and was not
10:39 pm
always been on a regular basis. he said just take whatever you need for your family and pay me later we have to get that back in america when somebody looks you in the eye you have to be able to trust again and believe the baghdad we don't hear your religion this tirade against that family because the muslim mother could not talk at the democratic convention for that young man to laydown his life for our country that is a disgrace. if it was my child i would not be able to talk at the convention. could you? i could not believe the father could do it. this is bad for us.
10:40 pm
id is dom. do want to prevent these instances of terror? or what about orlando? said was inspired by all this killing. would delight to support the people of around the world? to help them rollback the tide plexus that is what you want them we have got to have the help of the american muslims who love freedom. [applause] this is betty election. the other day i called dave buddy of mine we have better friends aboard than 40 years he can come up with the wall behind -- a what my dear.
10:41 pm
a said give me a good one minor. if you don't want the guy to drive a truck off the cliff then don't give him the keys. [laughter] and some here is what i want to say. give her the keys. [cheers and applause] because if you give for the keys she will open the back of the truck to put every american onboard matter food they've voted and it gives a brighter tomorrow. she will bring us along and draw it -- drive it to the top of the mountain and the will love where we talk about. god bless. [applause] ♪
10:42 pm
[inaudible conversations] ♪ [inaudible conversations] ♪
10:43 pm
[inaudible conversations] ♪
10:44 pm
[inaudible conversations] ♪
10:45 pm
>> good morning. nine is a shiv vice president at hillsdale college for constitutional studies for citizenship founded 18441 with civil and
10:46 pm
religious liberty and the first college want to advocate been in the abolition of slavery. in this picture was taken not her college. and we take no money from the federal government. with the numerous orlich programs charter schools in here with our campus of washington d.c. to extend that mission to the nation's capital aristotle says what is most distinctive in speech to think out loud of
10:47 pm
the good and bad the just and the unjust of the debate is the key to education which is why radio is important with the talk radio to be the most conducive to develop a program at hillsdale college . here we have a radio studio with the most broadcast radio personalities please visit of the fourth floor and on the main campus we have radio station to help the hillsdale students learn about radio or the skills to make them contributors radio free hillsdale.
10:48 pm
in a few students may try to interview you later today. so i'll turn over to dog moderator to set on the department of communications and my old friend michael has served as the stations of los angeles and boston and was the owner operator and the on-air personality and also syndicated by abc radio networks.
10:49 pm
currently the editor and publisher and publishing since 1990 and now the floor is yours. [applause] >> thanks dawn to large distinguished panel to be here today to engage in what should be a meaningful listening experience to make this as meaningful as possible it could that, at a better time for the debate which has been planned for years. [laughter] but this particular moment of the last two years to me had no idea the area now or the territory would be so
10:50 pm
groundbreaking in terms of issues and the paradigm that hand but i do approach to with the degree of in trepidation because a lot of folks are watching and listening today. the center for constitutional studies at hillsdale college and i am proud to be a part of this. we had a panel that represents a but those that don't know the nuances that they each had to make to the core values as broadcasters
10:51 pm
to the core constituency. to indeed be challenging and those if you know star trek is three-dimensional and as we speak that will change the nature of the discussion. so n alphabetical order a syndicated host any of the of leading progressive voices and do his left heel food has paid a major role indicated nationally within the redo network. next to him is the quintessential radiobroadcast terse serving her community over 20 years.
10:52 pm
definitely controversial. they cultural leader. a recipient of freedom of speech award. and the humanitarian of the year award as well. thank you for being here. i met him several years ago in washington d.c.. >> and also andrew brenner bar before his tragic passing he is very funny
10:53 pm
with a theatrical background and to his left ear vice eight young star he is there one of the most successful local morning post america as we call him of flame thrower. there is the panel. [applause] so yes started as of late is the difference? >> but now with the past ceo i think he left the website
10:54 pm
to become ceo of the donald trump campaign but doubt it has been revealed heber is very much and contact with the donald trump campaign to support them. the reason i bring the distinction is that everybody has an interpretation what he stood for and wanted to achieve. when i was working 43 very early and he was still on the basement. i felt he always had great concerns what he always perceived to be a complex which was a revolving door between the mainstream media any operatives within the democratic party. cargoes that you look at cable men's -- news. coal did to expose that and
10:55 pm
not want to build his own conservative version of that. i wish the site no ill will of course. but i did leave the site a couple of years ago. >> and now one of my concerns about the selection whichever candidate wins what they do get very political about is my support of the first amendment we don't have the thing called america without it it is not always pleasant and it isn't always right but by far is the best thing that we have. i am concerned of the future of the first amendment provide want to ask each person on this panel and this is the core of the election campaign pretoria
10:56 pm
concerned as it is right now but. >> i am specifically he has praised when the model that there is no first amendment. he is suing the new york times right now and i understand slander with the first amendment protection and he said he would do away with that have not heard that the language from hillary clinton although the campaign has done a very good job to manipulate the media is almost too strong of a phrase that do like to see a lot more transparency.
10:57 pm
>> caddied feel about the first amendment as the stands right now what? >> first thanks to you in hillsdale we could put you in the program director in charge cure-alls a very kind to include them on the panel . it should make new-line establishment of religion to be concerned that the secretaries appointments so yes i am deeply concerned with regards to the president by executive order
10:58 pm
to those content rules were to beat up held endlessly i am worried about the first amendment in religious freedom. pdf. >> what your thoughts on the subject? and we have a campaign and would then dominique that was given veto power for what was revealed by which the leaks it is more of the damage and the credibility as a member of the media i am more concerned for we are going. >> so the media could come out better cooks do my hope
10:59 pm
so they could not be more degrading when. >> people are so far ahead of us. if you have social media. you have every young person and you are nodding your head. can you can't tweet anything you want. i am not afraid at all. these are the communications right now.
11:00 pm
to say will weaken say or can say. and those people will have already heard i am not worried about that first amendment act all. >> in that fractionalized paradigm of social media but let's go back. >> i agree social media allows one for wide-open free expression abetted is about the first amendment which covers much more then my colleague. [laughter] >> ... so wanted to be on a panel with you ever since i was a very, very very young child. [laughter] and it truly is an
11:01 pm
inspiration matures stamina. >> and freedom of the press and if i may there is a time where we did not fear executive action to do away with of law. you cannot do that. not to behave like the current chief executive however as the professor points out what hillary clinton couldn't do pet can be dented executive branch and our representatives have nothing to say about a. >> i find it astounding how outrageous it seems people are about free-speech.
11:02 pm
in a lot of ways he almost seemed to be regressing that bothers me it is interesting they are worried about the national anthem with first amendment right but that does not it at all its establishment of government cannot private enterprise. that is a selective outrage that is growing to certain kinds of speech i would rather see a more consistent across the board. >> we had an interesting conversation to talk about a political class and we should not worry about the fact it takes the tone that some people consider degrading.
11:03 pm
>> dave tried to remember where we were going with that but the politicians have gotten too comfortable and the press of stopped holding their feet to the fire so they took back radio and social media and they took back their voice and they are tired of being told what to do. so i think surely it is a political process. i know congressman evan sitting in their chairs while garden that. is it is very untouchable and unapproachable. it is appropriately really
11:04 pm
yet that right now. >> you are right on target. forgives me if i was say. i view it from the media lands people want revenue to keep the listeners happy and this is what has gone on and talk radio but many have found themselves faced with the decision whether or not to speak their mind and their core values so are catered to of majority of the unilateral spectrums or positions but if i have not pigeonholed anybody yet to be hillary clinton or donald
11:05 pm
trump supporter yet there is a reason for that because there is a degree of nuance and ambiguity involved to get behind these candidates both have seen what we have a not seen in the modern era where they actually shot each other but this is a contentious time it is fascinating watching you dealing with the donald trump and. what is the status to support or endorse this candidate quick. >> i know that the center has maintained deliberations and philadelphia and there was quite a lot less
11:06 pm
suspense of the outcome and to find a remarkable and down the conservative side of the aisle. even although left side of the ideal that is proof positive of with part of it. but not the democratic side it is a rigged game from the beginning. item of their problems as bernie sanders or not if i were him and then realized i was played the fool and he never had a chance.
11:07 pm
said there has been vigorous disagreement about where we year going. i just understand how all of the left when they were played for fools. how are you dealing with this? [inaudible] she was on my program every friday taking calls from listeners for 11 years so my audience is very familiar with some slight was very disappointed by the revelations. frankly a larger concern is what happened to say that local control is coming down the road which is called competition from those that appear to have the ideological bias if you look
11:08 pm
back at coverage i ctc was the most egregious as the kickoff for the whole set up bernie got 18 seconds or less than a minute. i would say that to the extent of the insiders to grab this said don't disagree by with say the media was even worse the way they treated that candidate. and i figured he had got in equal treatment so that is the issue where frankly local control of media encourages diversity of opinion and competition. >> had had the opportunity
11:09 pm
to speak to them as much as hillary clinton? >> no. she is not generally available to the press. we discussed this earlier. >> known as one of the leading spokespeople. >> when i endorsed bernie sanders. >> she was accessible to ratio. -- to my show so i egregious not excess civil. -- accessible. but to be constitutional
11:10 pm
they don't represent me. so as i listen to what happens then ems are old enough and to know when it comes time to decide the nomination. i am under the opinion galleries and donald trump he had gotten the nomination was billions of dollars worth of publicity to be on
11:11 pm
the republican side. and if you mention donald trump. and when it comes to civil war with the political parties 1968. this is the nature of political parties and part of the problem that we have the this is a very distinguished group. but to many young journalist
11:12 pm
to many people have no institutional history. i swear to god. i would never major in journalism. because journalism is fear that if i asked the wrong question to a candidate to that personality that made be popular once again, it is absolutely embarrassing to those the dog know the basic questions or the basic positions than this question
11:13 pm
is always based on the last answer. instead of having a free can list of questions. >> this is definitely a follow-up. >> i will close with this. we have to learn how to appreciate each other's different perspectives and it is based on experience. >> and 1787 they were jews in czechoslovakia. >> 1787 my ancestors were on the slave trade. so that is the ideas they talk about are all of us because it is liberty.
11:14 pm
so slavery is part of the of the agassi the ags. >> they did not apply to me. >> we have a civil war. wait eight minutes. i am sitting here and someone tells me what they're doing when they were free. they did not have shackles. >> talk about the ancestors. they create a system of government that allowed barack obama to be president of the united states. >> 250 years later after 100 years of jim crow.
11:15 pm
>> doesn't that prove the system of government that they created in do word beyond all love the other things that had to happen correct the system of government is the same. >> accuse said you were finishing up. >> so to take my ancestors freedom down the road. >> okay we will move on with another question. joe, within the african-american community, which is depicted to dealing with so to share within the context of this panel and if you speak on behalf of americans which is
11:16 pm
a valid considerations. [laughter] so in the microcosm of your world but to even of that question means that you don't listen. because if you listened and we get the question of the time. what did you talk about? in everything. but we literally talk about everything parker today and
11:17 pm
then i have people who are. >> but it would be rude for me. please. give me a break joe. let me do my job. let me do my job joe. it would be rude of me to say i listened to him this is what he does. i'm giving you a chance to express. but answer the question where do you stand on the complex? what is your position in the key issues you have to take a position on? >> now we will move on to somebody else. >> else speak for all african-americans. >> and it is a spectrum of
11:18 pm
opinion how does a talk-show host do with them very tasty and of the spectrum quick. >> use baker african-americans. >> i said those on the panel of which you insert. don't mess with me i will go toe to toe of want to give you a chance to say what you have to say. >> first of all i am glad i have your permission. >> of course, you have my permission. >> to as of that question directly berger you just got done saying not to long ago i will not pigeonholed anybody you will not pigeonholed be. we talk about every freaking
11:19 pm
thing about white folks talk about. >> should be pointed out we all have good morning shows we have all then up since 330 in the morning and this is normally not time mind -- not time. [laughter] >> i have to try again because hispanic, married to an african-american, zero woman, by racial children and they don't have a home in the urban talk radio. that is important for crowfoot is being served. it is not all black people. eldridge: as that is where their ideological home is because they feel very ostracized if they listen to steve harvey when it is so
11:20 pm
complete the one-sided in terms of politics. >> thank you armstrong williams. >> i was the only black person on the edge. this was 530 in the morning by the way. >> but the problem of dealing with you is that when i address u.s. somebody
11:21 pm
to talk about african-american issues you always say why me? so why do you demand that both ways? >> repeat your question. >> no. [laughter] i will go to chris. >> what i am trying to say is the problem with media is we're all extremely diverse. and it was the major component of this year's election. >>
11:22 pm
>> i am a good talk show host. >> [laughter] and chris that i was trying to get to earlier as a follow-up. >> i am very comfortable to speak on behalf of the fact antiwhite ball the middle age white men laugh laugh. >> do you see yourself to speak behalf of a certain segment of the public clerics who are they correct. >> actually the one thing that has been frustrating no doubt about it, is i have always complemented the audience as the smartest that i know because they're so diversified this party is
11:23 pm
about as diversified as ever and has been to its payroll so is an ugly? we are watching the sausage being made but i dunno how it could have been more the wound was keeping -- keeping but i am proud to have that freedom of thought. >> maybe you don't win the elections that way but the idea to unify and lockstep they're not very good at that anyway. >> what do you say? are democrats the easier target that they have a similar appointive you? to require their more
11:24 pm
conservative as the end liberals but said is a complicated question but don't take it out of context but the card-carrying conservatives is much more unified cultural mind than those that would vote for democratic candidate that is my observation. you may disagree but one of the problems that they face today is what liberals have faced for years there not talking to the easy target audience. you have an expression of wonderment on your face. >> the democratic party the republicans stand up to say yes, sir. but.
11:25 pm
>> back up what i think is fascinating because the standard bearer of the donald trump stands up during their primaries to say who was the worst president in the history of united states? and that was a terrible mistake that this so-called free trade deals would enter% -- 100 percent every single one is with the majority of republicans and opposed by majority democrats. and to deal with the capital gains tax. >> this is a challenge for be.
11:26 pm
to be one of the talking points. i have set these things for years and years and what i find fascinating he beat the entire field of candidates using the democratic talking point stone now he is shifting back bbb don't need to deal with carried interest. we will renegotiate the said of going back to the terrorists based trade but i find it fascinating. and to. is there any ideological coherence. >> but to say if you go back to the roosevelt administration and goes
11:27 pm
through his last he never made legislation certainty reality. but there was not a single position that was not classical old beach ball dash ltv position. i don't think purdy was now the party has drafted for there to do right to get those little voters. but you reinforced before it that the maturity was. >> i don't buy that. that shows the risk the diversity of.
11:28 pm
and by donald trump using populist protectionist and isolationist rhetoric to liggett the mont paul libertarian voters of the last time emit - - but i don't describe the might take on it and so that tuesday. >> and the party presidency. >> ebs. she will but it was opposed
11:29 pm
by the majority of the democrats in the house and in the senate. but the party has been running a scam on their own voters. to say abortion and gays but it is still the vast majority of the elected republicans to mexico's then they become president like ford did. >> what does of trumpeted. >> this is classic middle-of-the-road position feet.
11:30 pm
>> give mr. trump wins if says terry couldn't put the reason that they cannot survive on that quite simply when i am competing on the radio at the same time with npr it is a leftist end i worked for them 10 years. . .
11:31 pm
[inaudible] >> i have made millions of dollars. what i'm opposed to his monopoly. and so yes, if they are monopolistic companies out there that don't want to advertise on my show because i'm opposed to monopoly and in favor of competition and the american way, so be it. we have have no problems getting advertisers, that's not the problem. i think you have made a good point and as i said earlier, on
11:32 pm
radio most of the large sticks in the country are owned by two companies that have ideological bias to. >> my, are you concerned -- >> ideological bias from the top of the company to my own program director. >> look at your program. >> that means it's a successful program and that appeals to an audience. >> in miami they took us off the air when somebody lost an election and i believe this is after -- and -- cap a share. i was beating rush limbaugh. >> it never pulled the same ratings but it's at least ideologically to the right. >> let me jump in on that as an observer for many years i did not believe there was an ideological basis to any of these companies in terms of broadcasting, but rather their
11:33 pm
belief in ratings and revenue. >> they believe blind to the green party. >> i remember when rush limbaugh was on the rise there is a lot of mama pops out there, many said to me i don't agree with the word this guy says but he is making the ratings go up and creating a buzz. as lindsay is good for my business i'm for the sky. i do believe, and i am troubled by the fact that spoken word radio is not completely fair all the way across the spectrum, that would be lovely if business were to support that thing. i do believe that most of the captains of industry in the radio business are not ideologically driven but rather concerned about ratings and revenue. some of them have proven to be incompetent at executing that. what happened in miami may have been incompetence as opposed to necessarily ideologically driven
11:34 pm
a lots of what happens in corporate america and we are seeing it in the extreme corporatization of the radio industry is that corporate america tends to find something i think works and that is the only thing that works. they duplicated and built it up and stick with it. they don't even talk about certain types of talk radio because they already have a predetermined decision that it won't work. not because they are against it, they would put anything on. and we are seeing that. as a matter fact one of the problems with the discussion in the media today about the selection and how low it has gone in terms of highest and lowest common denominator has been the networks and the big-time media thrilled they are getting such attention of ratings. they have sold out the soul of the country for the sake of a buck. i don't believe these radio companies have some type of political motive. they're not that virtuous. >> the fact michael, i would i would add not only do they not have an incentive, it's really has been my experience like guys
11:35 pm
like rush limbaugh and the lineup on my -- it is extraordinarily difficult in a lot of markets to sell that guy. they are what we call know by know russia edicts. most companies are very familiar with doorknocking to make a pitch and being told no, we're not spending money on rush limbaugh. what is very real, you want talk about a chill to free speech, people who are terrified to spend a dollar and rush limbaugh's showed no matter what they think was politics they know they could reach a lot of people if they did it but they choose to not because they're terrified of the backlash they would receive if they did its. i receive if they did its. i think that is a terrible place to be. >> i absolutely agree, that's wrong. >> that's an analogy for our watchers at home, television and radio is one big -- russian is an akerson r, cnn is is at right anchor store, that's fine, but
11:36 pm
all of broadcasters one issue, we have all won because of this, i'm not sure the country has one, next year is going to be the real challenge, next year is going to represent a great deal a buyers remorse no matter who wins, and a great deal of disgust no matter who wins and keeping the medium afloat will be a challenge that will require a great deal i think across ideological pairings so that both sides. >> i've always thought -- >> i like to point out something to you, i like to modify something i say, when i talked about corporate radio, obviously different companies have different levels of virtue and commitment, your company i do
11:37 pm
believe having observed it for so long does have an ideological event,. >> he was committed to redemptive radio. >> i do feeling that it's only fair to mention. >> i'm going to jump in and say that personally i miss the fairness doctrine. well again, and i will tell you why, when i first started and talk radio 30 years ago, i had a responsibility that i had to address both sides of the issue, if i interviewed a republican, i had to give equal time to democrat. and i had come as a broadcaster i had to be able to argue both positions or at least address both positions. i think when when that fairness doctrine went away, it's signal here's what we can do, we can strategize, we can put the conservatives over here in the liberals or progressives over here. and i miss the days when the ted koppel's and the walter
11:38 pm
cronkite's who are individuals in the barbara walters, whether you want to call them or the bernard shaw's, these were men and women who, by the way could argue and discuss both sides of the issue. i miss the old tv show that they used to have, counterpoint -- i really do miss that. >> what is it better? my debating justice breyer's as i did for two hours in my studio or you interviewing two smart lawyers? >> i would hope that i when interview to dumb lawyers but only two small boys. >> why would you change lawyers? i would want to interview you and justice breyer. >> that's what i would. >> were better served with the posing art. >> but again, how about justice
11:39 pm
breyer and clarence thomas in the same studio. >> and then that means that you and i, or whoever's doing it, we have to be able to address both sides. i'm just saying that's one of the things. i would add one other thing and that is, this argument of what is going to happen after the election, if the election, if you listen to donald trump, he says what is going to happen if he doesn't win, it's a conspiracy, and and he has already and this is why i don't understand, he is already condemned all of you. all of you are part of the corporate media. and he said yesterday you guys are conspiring to bring him down. so i don't understand how you can sit here and talk about what is going to happen after the campaign because if donald
11:40 pm
trump wins -- >> howdy feel about that? >> i don't have any problem with fairness. i think that's an individual broadcaster's responsibility not the government telling me that i have to that i have to be fair. if i interviewed the republican candidate for congress, i invite the democratic candidate for congress. they seldom will come on the show. they're feeling is if they are not addressing their voters why waste their time. in the same i think is true as to why hillary clinton would go on radio stations that cater to a particular demographic that she was looking to get to vote for her. mean you are a great radio host, but trust me if you are a great conservative radio host you would have a lot of trouble getting hillary clinton to come on your show. they are opposed to having an ideological debate, i think it's because they lose them. >> which is why i don't necessarily want to be a great progressive radio host. and i don't want to be a great conservative radio host, i want,
11:41 pm
and maybe this is the corporate -- i want everybody's money, i want everybody to listen to me and to be a critical thinker. now, i note currently what exists, this is where we are now and there is not much that i can do about it. but there are very few middle-of-the-road folks out here. you have to get -- because either you are conservative or you get hired because you are -- that is part of the bias that exists in corporate media,. >> have you invited justice thomas on your show? i would love that interview. >> and again, for the very reason that you say hillary won't come on your show he will, my show. >> really? do i look like i'm not telling the truth?
11:42 pm
>> i'm not accusing you of, my expression was not a suggestion that you're not being forthcoming to the truth. >> well since most of the people. >> trample come on,, last time let me tell you what happened, last time i had that walked out of the studio, glenn beck, glenn beck came on and he didn't want to come on he walked into the studio because he wanted to see what her studios look like, and he came in and glenn back said, we are on the air, and he came on in the first i asked him i said why did you call president obama races, you know it he said come i never did. and i said yesterday, no i never did. and then play the did. and then play the tape. and you know what he said to me, oh, i was confused about his position on liberation theology and i'm like okay.
11:43 pm
and then he goes back outside and then tells his staff people, don't tell anybody that we are on the joe madison show. we already broadcasted, but i mean this is what's going on, and i'm telling you, it's crazy. but, as cells. and let's be quite honest, donald trump may have something going for them. he's absolutely right. corporate america has bought into this until something else pops up. and it will change all of us again and will be there just are be out of work. >> do you support trump on your show? >> i have made it a point not to, i have a strange opinion about my role. >> we're just talking about this. we literally had this conversation last night. >> i get very uncomfortable with radio hosts putting themselves
11:44 pm
in a position where they are telling their listeners what they should do. i'm putting themselves in a position where if you do not listen to me and agree with me or follow me, our country will be destroyed. that makes me very uncomfortable. i have openly where my politics i sleep, unlike the wires in the mainstream media. my listeners know that i am a republican. during the primary process i did not support any of the candidates because i don't think that serves our audience. i very specifically said however, i'm said however, i'm republican. i will support the republican nominee which what the republicans running for president pledged to do. >> you made a lot of news yesterday, first time for everything. [laughter] tell people about that because i was in extraordinary foreign half minutes. >> i made news twice yesterday actually. but we had jake on from cnn and we asked him about the wikileaks
11:45 pm
revelation that donna brazil, his former colleague at cnn had delivered one of the questions for a town hall. to the clinton campaign. and it was in their primary. >> she originally said that was not a question from the debate and the next day the question penned by martin proved that it was a verbatim, word for for word. jake was unequivocally outraged this had happened. >> i still can't believe it, i know you've done debates with cnn. >> i just can't believe it is there any alternative explanation? >> before the second email came out i gave her the benefit of the doubt said we've all been on television before and sometimes they give you topics and advances of possible it was a question she had to answer? and it was the opposite. i can see with the alternative
11:46 pm
explanation is. everybody is talking about the meaty aspect of the fact that she was a member of the media and was given the and campaign advanced information. to put it back to thom hartmann and the bernie sanders supporters, she is more than a cnn contributor, she was on the board of the dnc. her predecessor got drowned out because it was proven that she was in the tank for hillary clinton over bernie sanders. >> why are they not drumming her out of the dnc right now. >> one other follow question if i may, so is stuck with me earlier you said that you are much more disappointed in the media and the networks were not having a fair playing field during the democrats primary. why do you hold the media to a higher standard than the democratic party? >> i prefaced my remarks about the media by saying that democratic party was not playing fair. >> but then he said what bothers you more. >> the democratic party has very little control, they.
11:47 pm
>> i think they have proven them quite a bit of control. >> them are controlled and they should've but in terms of national dialogue at what is getting out there, that's not their job. at least in terms of -- >> know it's to run a fair primary which they didn't do. >> would you be that the extraordinary amount of influence. >> i'm so glad to meet you, because i've been a fan, you're not as old as hugh, but one thing you said earlier rub me the wrong way when you set i think rhetorically and nobody disputed it that the reason that donald trump has the nomination is because of all of the media and publicity that he got. see come i don't believe that. i know maybe this is controversial but i think by saying that he also said by the way that we need to do our best to appreciate different perspectives. i think it's important that we appreciate the different perspectives of the republican voters. he is the nominee because the
11:48 pm
net voters voted for him. i think it's insulting for the voters to suggest they only voted for them because they saw him on tv a lot. he did have a message, you may not have like the message or the way he delivered it but i think you should read the book hillbilly -- a liberal who very clearly identified the support that donald trump got, and he did get the nomination not because of publicity, but because he was delivering the message in a in a way that had not been delivered before. and much in the same way we often hear on radio that people were hearing insane finally somebody say what i've been thinking and putting it in words i've been waiting for someone. you can argue with the message but to say it was publicity. >> let me crap my cell. i'm not saying it was just that, there is no one thing that exists, i agree agree with you you're absolutely right. at one point, i'm listening to him really against -- and i'm
11:49 pm
looking down and saying time you have to vote for this guy you know, he's on your side. >> he really does seem closer to the hillary does. so it is never one thing. but again, i was just sharing quite candidly what the other come i don't know 18 or 16 candidates believe. >> i believe the final count was 38. >> what. >> what the other ones were saying i was just stating. >> the rest of them were repeating the same message they've heard from the republican party candidates wear dark suits and red ties. carly fiorina said it. >> but no one up here -- what insight, what are you going to do now that your candidate has attacked you?
11:50 pm
he has attacked every person appear. he said it yesterday, it is clear as i am sitting appear. all of you work for corporate media. i work for corporate media. we are his enemy. now what do you do? >> let me get back -- talk radio loves to play the role of not being part of the mainstream media. >> mainstream media treats us. >> i don't know if there is such a thing as a mainstream media anymore. those institutions that are under the umbrella of mainstream media seem to be the one suffering the most right now and turns of disintegrating in the face of social media and in the face of the digital era. >> remember what he said, he is changed it, and is now corporate media. >> it's actually media, he just says media. >> so to a certain degree, it
11:51 pm
may have have been a different soundbite that i've heard and we can't listen to all of on. but i've also found that talk radio loves to be attacked by politicians. it makes it special. if all the politicians were suddenly saying how wonderful talk radio was, then what is left for this medium? and the role that it plays. >> perfect for what i've said is going to talk about. i find it fascinating, and i have a lot of respect for todd. he shows up to events that are largely conservative all of the time is really person broadcasting live. the fact that you would live. the fact that you would support hillary clinton to me stunning. my home state, our junior senator was one of the most highly favored candidates in the republican primary. he -- we can't stand him because of the gang of a bell. he lied on my radio program, i never forgive him. him. i will never support marco rubio.
11:52 pm
it i'm not republican so doesn't matter to him. i'm an independent, i don't know if anybody else on the panelists. but i have to tell you, i could no more support marco rubio that i could support hillary clinton. i don't understand how she could've done and pulled off what she did against your guy and yet that's the lockstep that were talking about. conservatives like me, look at you, wonder yes, one day know, you never know. [laughter] but there is something liberating not having to be in lockstep. >> i'm very happy that hillary clinton has adopted somewhere between 80 and 90% of bernie sanders agenda. >> using until the election, that's gonna be up to us. and that's up to my audience. in your audience quite frankly. are we, one of the things that she has demonstrated which some have characterized as a negative
11:53 pm
i think the positive, is the ability to figure out which with a country is going to change her position based on my. she did that with gay marriage with don't ask, don't tell. she did that with keystone pipeline and trade. you can call that flip-flopping, i'm quite pleased with it as long as she stays there and i am under no illusion that she will not stay there unless were pushing the hell out of her. i think the american people will be very pleased to have a candidate who is responding. >> so the notion of all believe what i want to believe just commute power. >> that's not what i'm saying at all. >> i can give you a list of issues by the way. >> to the primary, i was on the debate panel, now i'm with the red cross,. [laughter] but there is a key difference and i want to make this point. i never work for cnn, seal it cosponsored these debates with cnn.
11:54 pm
in zucker, blitzer and -- it sounds like a law firm but there are four characters that were relentlessly fair. it was a revelation to me how fair they were and they ran a fair game. the difference i will be be reflected on for a long period of time is that the deepest amount of corruption in this cycle was in the democratic national committee which was corrupt to the core. the republican national committee was fair, don't trump won 40 percent, not 60% that's why there's a divide, there's too many candidates out could've been better but it was a fair game. the democrats were corrupt to the core and i do not understand how sanders -- how you could not vote for someone and regain. i would never go to the casino again. >> and you make a good point and what that means is that anybody who cares about the democratic party, and shares and
11:55 pm
ideological alignment with the democratic party needs to get inside the democratic party. progressive needs to be doing what tea parties were doing in 2006, eight and temporary they're showing up and say i'm going to run for office and i want to be a part of this party. i want to change the party and participate i want to be one of the ones who selects the primary candidates are going to be. that actually actually happened. the democratic party was at least, this regard corrupt in the cycle. i don't disagree with this. and one of the big changes that are happy. >> one of the things you asked about was politicians lamenting talk radio. that is very, very, very real. i come from kansas city, missouri and i had a show in philadelphia but i had a unique perspective and that i come from flyover country and that audience, no professional sports. >> a listen, for the next two
11:56 pm
weeks -- the rules when i got to philadelphia and started making regular trips to save the city, to washington d.c. and i spent time working for congressman for a time, what is so real, and i've heard it because i've been invited to dinner's and sat across the table from members of congress, they talk, they have spoken to me at times and about my audience like were a bunch of knuckle dragging idiots. they had altered contempt for most talkshow host and their audience. they don't think we understand the nuance of their parlor and discussions and procedural discussions. quite frankly, just this morning i interview john dickerson with face the nation. i asked him, do you think the guy in flyover country watching your show in nebraska this weekend, does he understand your pals, your cocktail cocktail party pals? does he get it? and i did mean to attack john
11:57 pm
dickerson per se but he explained we are more than that. we live together and in many cases or kids play soccer together. it's a very incestuous and i say in situ is relationship. it is quite gross. so many average it americans don't understand that the people who are talking to us about the politicians that they cover are genuinely friends, social friends of theirs. and that taints and crops their coverage inherently because their next her neighbors and pals. and then the politicians have contempt for most of our audiences and hosts, not in the beltway are here in the eastern court or, that are out there because they think we don't understand, that's right think we are. >> they may not be totally wrong. and i will say, again with the exception of people -- one of the reasons i said that when i
11:58 pm
watch you on tv and i watch you deal with international issues, i can tell you you know what the heck you're talking about. you really can. and i may not agree with his but i can tell he knows his subject. when i listen to thom hartmann, i could tell that that tom knows what he's talking about. because he's learned and he has study. now you just said, you have a certain insight that you know what you're talking about because you have seen it. i spent 30 years in talk radio i have also half of that was spen. i know race relations, i know my community. i will go back once again am i
11:59 pm
think a lot of people in our business, michael really, and i will go back -- they don't know the subject. what happens in talk radio too often and i've seen this, they think because the lines light up you are a good talkshow host. i can light the lines up -- it's true. it's a false sense of security. and these are programmers, managers and all the lines are lit, alton lines, i haven't had a program director when he addition the talkshow personality he had a button and the council where the lines went busy. and nobody could call him. and he sat there and watch that talkshow talkshow personality for half an hour.
12:00 am
can you carry the conversation. 90% of people never called talk radio. all you have to do is talk about gun control, race, religion, and those lines will light up. that is part of the problem that we have in this industry. . .

6 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on